Appropriately called Building 1 or the James Shannon Building. Since President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the Bethesda campus from the front steps, Building 1 has been the focal point for NIH leadership. It is on the east side of campus at Center Drive. Completed in 1938.
This building is an administrative center for NIH. Located here is: The NIH Office of the Director; Offices of Intramural and Extramural Research; Communications and Public Liaison; Science and Legislative Policy; Research on Women's and Minority Health; Behavorial and Social Sciences Research; Budget and Human Resource Management.
The nearest NIH Shuttle Stop is in front of the building.
Building Other Names:
Eurest Dining Center