Building 3 Renovation
Building 3, formerly known as the Public Health Methods and Animal Unit, is a six-level 50,000 gross square foot Georgian Revival structure built in 1938 as a laboratory building. The $20 million, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver renovation transformed the unused, vacant building into useable office space for the NIH Intramural Research Program. The newly renovated space provides approximately 165 private and open office workstations. The occupants include personnel from the National Cancer Institute (NCI), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), and the National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR). Supplemental space such as conference rooms, copy centers, storage areas, mailrooms, vending machines areas, and corridors were also provided.
The adaptive re-use of the existing facility was completed using an environmentally sensitive approach that minimized construction waste and conserved energy. The work included:
• Constructing a new service support building to house the new electrical service switchgear
• Updating the building’s handicap, fire protection, and security requirements
• Replacing the building’s entire support functions and core spaces including the elevators, stairs, and toilet areas, as well as the mechanical, electrical, and telecommunication distribution systems
• Restoring all windows, including lead abatement
• Re-pointing, repairing, replacing, and cleaning the existing brick
• Replacing the existing front entrance doors, and repairing front entrance stairs
• Refurbishing and reinstalling existing light fixtures
• And re-attaching the entire slate roof, which included replacing damaged materials.